Matt Woodrow, Sponsor, DATCP
Mark Jenks, Team Leader, DATCP
Rachel Rushmann, Team Leader, DATCP
Francisco Arriaga, UW Madison
Joe Baeten, WDNR
Travis Engels, Kewaunee County LWCD
Amy Haak, Country Visions Coop
Dave Hart, WGNHS
Matt Komiskey, USGS
Maureen Muldoon, UW Oshkosh
Jason Nemecek, NRCS
Nathen Nysse, Tilth Agronomy
Jamie Patton, UW Madison/UW Extension
Tony Reali, Calumet County LWCD
If you have questions regarding this standard, contact SOC Program Manager at email@example.com or the Team Leaders at Rachel.Rushmann@wisconsin.gov or Mark.Jenks@wisconsin.gov.
- January 28, 2019 – cancelled due to snow storm
- February 28, 2019 – Agenda, SOC Summary, DNR Summary, Notes
- March 25, 2019 – Agenda
- April 25, 2019 – Agenda
- May 23, 2019
- June 27, 2019
- July 18, 2019
- Subsequent meeting dates to be determined
Goal: This Standard Team will create a new technical standard for use in verifying and documenting land features Silurian Bedrock/Karst Areas including depth to bedrock and closed depressions. The standard will establish procedures and standards for determining and mapping land features including valid methods and technologies (e.g. sonar, probes) for taking measurements, the scale for identifying field features, qualifications of persons who may collect data, and standards for mapping of land features. The standard will support implementation of s. NR 151.075 in designated areas where the bedrock consists of Silurian dolomite with a depth to bedrock of 20 feet or less.
This team will examine existing research, consider new technologies, propose criteria, and consider input from expert and public review.
Work Team Status: This team began meeting in February 2019. Meetings will be held approximately monthly until the standard is completed. More details on meetings, including agendas and minutes, will be available in the left sidebar as the work develops.
- Chapter ATCP 50, Wis. Adm. Code
- Chapter NR 151, Wis. Adm. Code
- DNR NR 151 Technical Advisory Committee Process resources
- Nebraska Geological Mapping Project Summary
- Chalikakis, K., Plagnes, V., Guerin, R., Valois, R., and Bosch, F. 2001. Contribution of geophysical methods to karst system exploration. Hydrogeology Journal 19: 1169-1180.
- Cooley, E., Madison, F., Frame, D., and Wunderlin, A., UW Discovery Farms Fact Sheet 2. Mapping Bedrock: Using models to determine bedrock depth across a large area, Summer 2013.
- Hart, D. (published with WGNHS, UW-Extension, Discovery Farms, and UW-Madison), Mapping Bedrock: Verifying Depth to Bedrock in Calumet County using Seismic Refraction, December 13, 2011.
- Kewaunee County Bedrock Verification Policy
- Mauel, S., Frame, D., and Madison, F., UW Discovery Farms, Mapping Bedrock: Models and field tools to identify loss potential in vulnerable landscapes, Summer 2013.
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, Applying Manure in Sensitive Areas, State requirements and recommended practices to protect water quality, Rev. May 2005.
- NRCS Engineering Field Handbook Supplement excerpt – Chapter 4, Exhibit A (referenced in NRCS CPS 313 related to location of sinkholes and other karst features), January 2018.
- NRCS Part 631 National Engineering Handbook excerpt – Chapter 5, Sec. 631.0502 (Logging earth materials) and Sec. 631.0503 (Sampling earth materials), January 2012.
- NRCS Part 651 Agricultural Waste Management Field Handbook (AWMFH) excerpt, Chapter 7 – Geologic and Groundwater Considerations, August 2010.
- Parsen, Michael J., Mauel, Stephen W. , and Streiff, Carolyn M. (UW Extension and WGNHS), Hydrogeological characterization of the Town of Lincoln, Kewaunee County, Wisconsin, Open File Report 2017-05, 2017.
- USGS, Map Scales, 1992.