WISCONSIN FIELD OFFICE TECHNICAL GUIDE
NOTICE FOTG WI-60
The following revisions to the Wisconsin FOTG have been posted on the Wisconsin e-FOTG website:
- Cultural Resources Classification List
- National and State Resource Concerns and Planning Criteria
- Standard 327, Conservation Cover
- Standard 342, Critical Area Planting
- Standard 512, Forage and Biomass Planting
- Standard 666, Forest Stand Improvement
- Standard 655, Forest Trails and Landings
- Standard 595, Integrated Pest Management
- Standard 391, Riparian Forest Buffer
- Standard 490, Tree/Shrub Site Preparation
- Standard 660, Tree/Shrub Pruning
- Standard 645, Upland Wildlife Habitat Management
- Standard 644, Wetland Wildlife Habitat Management
- Standard 650, Windbreak/Shelterbelt Renovation (New)
- Statement of Work, Standard 650, Windbreak/Shelterbelt Renovation
- Conservation Practice Physical Effects (CPPE) worksheet for Standard 650, Windbreak/Shelterbelt Renovation
Explanation of Changes/Revisions:
The updated National and State Resource Concerns and Planning Criteria replaces the old National and state Resource Concerns and Quality Criteria document.
· Standards 327 (Conservation Cover), 342 (Critical Area Planting), and 512 (Forage and Biomass Planting): These conservation practice standards were revised to utilize a seeds-per-square-foot method to calculate the total seed needed for planting vs. the previous pounds of seed per acre. The standards emphasize the current requirement to increase calculated seeding rates to reflect “pure live seed”. Edits to the general criteria added standardized language related to seed bed preparation, fertilization requirements, and erosion control during the establishment period.
· Standards 644 (Wetland Wildlife Habitat Management) and 645 (Upland Wildlife Habitat Management): These conservation practice standards were updated to reflect minor updates to the national practice standards and to provide more uniform Wisconsin specific language for generalized management recommendations shared by the standards.
· Standard 595 (Integrated Pest Management) has been updated to reflect revised national language which now requires the use of Integrated Pest Management techniques.
· Standard 391 (Riparian Forest Buffer) has been revised to reflect management purposes other than timber.
· Standard 490 (Tree/Shrub Site Preparation) has had minor changes and a name change.
· Standard 650 (Windbreak/Shelterbelt Renovation) is a new Wisconsin practice standard.
· Standard 655 (Forest Trails and Landings) has been revised to emphasize the temporary nature of the practice.
· Standard 660 (Tree/Shrub Pruning has had the species-specific criteria removed.
· Standard 666 (Forest Stand Improvement) has been revised to broaden the criteria to reflect more than saw timber/fiber production purposes.
· A Statement of Work for new Standard 650 has been added.
· A CPPE worksheet for Standard 650 has been added.
A link to the Wisconsin FOTG is located on the Wisconsin NRCS web site at http://www.wi.nrcs.usda.gov/.
Acting State Conservationist